We all attend lots of meetings. I believe if it can’t be done in one hour then the agenda needs to be reconsidered. Here are my favorite tips to have an effective meeting.
- Show up on time. Showing up on time is probably the easiest thing to take responsibility for and fix, yet it has remained on the list of annoying meeting behaviors. I get so frustrated by people turning up to meetings coffee in hand after the scheduled time.
- Pay attention to your body language. Next time you go to a meeting, try observing the body language of everyone around the room. Are they paying attention, making eye contact, leaning forward, and taking notes? Are they using there computer?
- Stop with the side comments. When someone else is talking or presenting, seeing someone make a side comment to their neighbour can be incredibly distracting and annoying.
- Come prepared This one is my personal pet peeve. When we all leave a meeting with action items, there is an expectation that everyone comes to the next meeting with completed homework assignments.
- Bring food. When all else fails, bring yummy snacks to your meetings especially the Murray Fudge!!!!!!